Wednesday 12 February 2020

Favourite Reads of 2019


2019 was quite the year. I finished my 2nd of University (with an average of 80% ayyyyyyyyy) and I started my Industrial Placement at one of the biggest companies in the UK. For those unaware, an Industrial Placement is when a student does a year in industry between their 2nd and 3rd year at Uni. I’m currently just over 6 months in and it has been a crazy experience thus far. Full time, 9-5 work is no joke. It’s such a great learning experience, and I’m having so much fun, but it’s also intense and highly stressful. As a result, in terms of numbers, 2019 has been my worst reading year probably since I first properly got into reading about 6/7 years ago! I read 39 books in 2019, which isn’t bad by any means, but I did set my Goodreads goal at 45
However, saying that, for the first time in years, I actually found it easy to pick my favourite reads of the year (I have become increasingly picky with handing out 5 stars) and I really truly did love all the following books;

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
The Wicked King - Holly Black
First up we have my first actual read of 2019. When I read The Cruel Prince back in 2018, I enjoyed it, but a part of me was left a little underwhelmed and so The Wicked King could have gone either way for me. And I’m so happy it went the positive way and I absolutely LOVED it! It was fast paced and thrilling, and I fell in love with Jude and Cardan. I also read The Queen of Nothing in 2019, and while I loved that too and rated it 4.5 stars, TWK is for sure my favourite of the trilogy and is therefore wholly deserving of a spot on this list!

Vicious - V.E.Schwab
I did it, guys. I finally read Vicious after having it on my TBR for years. And it was phenomenal. Truly phenomenal. Everything about this book called to me. The plot was fascinating and so well thought out. The pacing of the story was perfect. The writing was incredible. And the characters were the cherry on top (anti-heroes/morally grey characters hold a very special place in my heart!) I haven’t read Vengeful yet, but I will definitely be reading it in 2020, probably after another reread of Vicious. (Click on the cover to read my review)

King of Scars - Leigh Bardugo
From one queen’s book to another. Leigh Bardugo can do no wrong. She writes a book. I read said book. And I fall incredibly in love with that book. It’s a simple process.
Nikolai owned my heart from the moment he was introduced in the Grisha trilogy, and somehow, he now also owns my soul after King of Scars. And so do Nina and Zoya. I had extremely high expectations for KoS and Leigh managed to meet all of them. Like I said – a Queen! (Click on the cover to read my review)

Finale - Stephanie Garber
I can’t believe the trilogy is finally over. If you’ve been following my blog or twitter for a while, you’ll know I’ve been a huge fan of the Caraval series before the first book even officially came out (thanks to Hodder and their beautiful proofs), so seeing this series come to a close was a bittersweet feeling. But I must say, I was satisfied with how it all ended. This series was magical and captivating. I’m still hoping for a spin off about Jacks, but for Scarlett and Tella, this was the perfect conclusion. (Click on the cover to read my review)

A Curse so Dark & Lonely - Brigid Kemmerer
ACSDAL was such a refreshing take on the Beauty and the Beast storyline. I went in expecting a cute contemporary with some fantasy elements, but I got that and more! We got loveable flawed characters (with actual character development), diversity, POC rep and LGBTQ+ rep! And of course, this book also introduced me to the broody Grey, who I fell completely in love with. I can’t wait to see more of him in A Heart So Fierce and Broken, which I will be reading ASAP !! (Click on the cover to read my review)

Serpent & Dove - Shelby Mahurin
Lou and Reid. Reid and Lou. *sighs blissfully* These two served me the most perfect enemies to lovers and arranged marriage trope! Honestly, what more could you ask for?! Lou was unapologetically loud and bold. Reid was innocent and sOFT. Put them together, and you get the perfect mix. The worldbuilding and plot was great too, and I am so frigging excited to see where this story goes and be reunited with my loves again – they better get their HEA! (Click on the cover to read my review)

Wayward Son - Rainbow Rowell
Last but certainly not least, we have the book I had been waiting yearsssss for! Rainbow Rowell finally decided to grace us with a sequel to Carry On, and yep, the Watford crew are still causing havoc and making me fall even deeper in love with them. I went into this book with theories of where the story would go, but Rainbow turned those expectations upside down and delivered something even better. It was deep and emotional, but perfectly balanced with the fun and humour you normally get in a RR book.
Also, this book contained Tyrannus Basilton Grimm-Pitch – that alone gives this book a well-deserved spot on my list! (Click on the cover to read my review)

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
And there we have it, my favourite reads of 2019. Albeit a little late, but better late than never!
Did any of these books make it onto your list?
And what are you most excited to read in 2020?
Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment