Tuesday 1 January 2019

Favourite Reads of 2018

I can't believe we've reached the end of 2018 already!
I can vividly remember sitting down an writing my Favourite Reads of 2017 post...and here we are again a WHOLE year later.
I was quite disappointed with my 2017 reading year, having read 40 books less that the previous year. FORTY. I was adamant of making 2018 better - but I did not succeed.
In 2018 I only managed to read 52 books, which by no means is terrible, but I just wanted more. Once again, the main culprit for this is University - it's a real time sucker. The work never ends, so I feel like I get barely any time to just sit and read and write up blog posts. It sucks, but that's life!

HOWEVER, even though it hasn't been the greatest reading year, I did achieve some blogger goals that I'm completely over the moon about:

1.) I got a personalised ARC with my name *printed* on the cover. OMG!

2.) I was quoted in a book for the first time, but not just any book, one of my favourite books of all time... STRANGE THE DREAMER! Again, OMG!

I'm forever grateful to work with amazing publishers and I can't wait to see what 2019 holds for me (probably just more university work, but a girl can dream)

But before I focus too much on the future, lets reflect on my favourite books of 2018!


The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller
2018 was the year I finally read The Song of Achilles, after years of hearing people rave about it. I was not disappointed. I finally understand why everyone loves this book so much; not only is the writing absolutely phenomenal, but the characters are something special. I tried so hard writing a full review for this book, but the words would just not come to me, so here's my one word review: FEELS!

The Raging Ones - Krista & Becca Ritchie
Krista and Becca are one of my favourite authors when it comes to NA books. I have loved all of their previous work, and their venture into YA was no different for me! I got everything I expect from them; emotions and fantastic relationships, but this time we got a sci-fi/fantasy twist, which I'm always down for! I cannot recommend their books enough - If you only read YA, please give this book a go, and if you happily read NA too, please read their other books too - they're some on my all time favs! (Click the cover to read my review)

To Kill a Kingdom - Alexandra Christo
I love a good enemies-to-lovers, especially when done right, and To Kill a Kingdom ticked all the right boxes! Our main characters, Lira and Elian, both want to kill each other, but overtime this slow relationship starts to build, based on mutual respect and a little bit of romantic angst and I WAS HERE FOR IT! If you like dark books with semi-anti heros, plenty of laughs and the most wonderful relationships, this is the book for you!

What If It's Us - Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera
Next up we have the most adorable book of 2018! Independently, Becky and Adam are fantastic writers. Together, they create magic. This is the perfect book to put you in the most uplifting mood. It does have it's emotional moments and it does explore many issues including, religion, mental health and racial identity, but you will finish this book with a smile on your face. It's just so pure and adorable! (Click on the cover to read my review)

A Conjuring of Light - V.E.Schwab
What a rollercoaster ride! I felt like a YA protagonist while reading this book, because I swear I was constantly letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding. This finale was so intense and so bloody brilliant. Let me tell you, Victoria Schwab is not afraid to throw your heart on the floor and stomp on it. She is ruthless. I can't tell you how many times I shouted at the book, how many times I had to close the book and put it aside because the emotions got too high. But yeah, 10/10 would recommend. (Click on the cover to read my review)

Legendary - Stephanie Garber
Legendary was a mesmerising sequel. I absolutely adored Caraval, so I was hoping to love Legendary too - and guess what, I loved it more than I thought I would. It was magical, vibrant and captivating. The writing and world building improved so much, although it was still fantastic in Caraval. Tella was a brilliant protagonist. All the other characters were amazing, like Dante and my new favourite, Jacks aka The Prince of Hearts. I'm so happy we're getting a third book, because I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet. (Click on the cover to read my review)

 
Muse of Nightmares - Laini Taylor
Last, but certainly not least, we have my number 1 favourite book of the year...MUSE OF NIGHTMARES! If you follow me on twitter, or have read my review for this, you probably already know how much I loved Muse. It was everything. EVERYTHING! This book is honestly the book of my dreams - absolute perfection. I am in constant awe of Laini's work. The way she manages to evoke so much emotion out of you and make you feel every emotion known to man. Her writing is lyrical and off the scale. Everything about her work is breathtaking.
If you haven't read the Strange the Dreamer duology yet, I'm begging you, please do! I promise you will not regret it. (Click on the cover to read my review)


And there we have it, my favourite reads of 2018!
What books made it onto your favourite list?
Did you spot any of your favourites on my list?
Let me know in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Legendary was also on my favourites list! I had ACOL on my favourites list last year, so I'm so glad you loved it too.

    ReplyDelete