Saturday 31 December 2016

Top 10 Reads of 2016

It's already that time of year again - the time where we look back at our year in books!
In terms of numbers, 2016 has probably been my best year, having managed to read 103 books! (All while juggling college work!)
But, in terms of the number of 5 stars I've given out, 2016 hasn't been the best. I usually struggle to narrow my favourite reads down to 10 books, but for some reason it was actually quite easy this year and I could honestly just about choose 10 favourite books. This isn't necessarily because I read a lot of awful books (I gave out mostly 4 stars this year,) instead it's because my expectations of a 5 star book have risen.

But anyways, I present to you, in no particular order, my Top 10 Reads of 2016!!

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness
Firstly, we have the brilliant and heart-breaking A Monster Calls. This book had been sat on my TBR for over a year, just waiting to be read. It wasn't until I saw the final movie trailer did I realise that I NEEDED to read this book right away. It was heart-breakingly beautiful and had one of the most unique ways of portraying grief and loss. (Make sure to have a few tissues on hand when reading this one)

The Raven King - Maggie Stiefvater
Next we have the conclusion to TRC, The Raven King. I read all four books in this series this year, but The Raven King has to be my favourite of them all - I think what I loved most about this book was the relationships, both romantic and platonic. Every time members of the gang interacted with each other, you could see the love that was present. If it wasn't for these characters, I wouldn't have enjoyed this series as much as I did. (Click the cover to read my review)

A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J Maas
I don't think anyone is surprised that this is on my list, considering how much I've gushed about it. I loved this book so much. Last year ACOTAR failed to make it in my Top 10 because I felt like it was missing something, well whatever that thing was, ACOMAF has it and much more. Like I said in my review it was an epic, romantic, feminist, fantasy novel. If you didn't enjoy the first book, I recommend you pick up the second, because it is SO much better! (Click the cover to read my review)

The Unexpected Everything - Morgan Matson
The Unexpected Everything is my favourite Morgan Matson book to date! It's the perfect book to read during the summer time or whenever you're in need of a pick-me-up. I guarantee it will leave you with your heart full and a smile on your face. Also, the love interest in this book is just the sweeeetest!! Clark is 100% a cinnamon roll, too pure for this world!

A Torch Against the Night - Sabaa Tahir
I cannot explain how glad I am that AEITA wasn't a standalone! I knew from the start that this series had potential to be phenomenal, and Sabaa Tahir has managed to live up to that potential! This book kept me on the edge of my seat throughout - Sabaa might be the new queen of plot twists, because damn, there were so many I honestly did not see coming! I cannot wait to see what Sabaa Tahir has in store for these characters in the next instalment. (Click the cover to read my review)

Some Kind of Perfect - Krista & Becca Ritchie
Next up we have the final book/epilogue to one of my favourite series ever. I think this was the perfect end to the Addicted/Calloway Sisters series - it spans over 10 years, giving us an insight into how life has changed from the core 6 being young adults and finding their footing, to them having their own family. It had everything you'd expect from a KBRitchie book - happy moments, sad moments, funny moments, cute moments, it was the whole package! It was also a great way to introduce us properly to all the children before we get to know them more in the Like Us series.

It Ends With Us - Colleen Hoover
This book! THIS BOOK! I don't think I've ever cried so much because of a book before. While reading this book I was a blubbering mess. Days after reading this book, I was still a blubbering mess. It Ends With Us is raw, painful & sad, but it is such an important book. I don't want to go into the details, because I think it's best to go into this book completely blind, but this is a book everyone should read because of how honest it is. It's completely heart-wrenching, but 100% worth it!

Mafiosa - Catherine Doyle
Third book in the Blood For Blood Trilogy, and my favourite out of the three. This was a pretty fantastic book - It had everything you would want and expect in a finale, especially one to do with the mafia. So much plotting. So much fighting. But, on top of all of that, we had one of the strongest friendships between Sophie & Millie and one of the swooniest relationships. I cannot recommend this trilogy enough - READ IT! (Click the cover to read my review)

Caraval - Stephanie Garber
Caraval is one of the best debuts I have ever read - I loved it so much! The writing was exquisite, so much so that at times I felt as though I was actually part of the world and not just reading about it. The romance wasn't overbearing, there was just the perfect amount to keep any hopeless romantic (aka me) satisfied. And the world-building was truly magical. This book will hook you from page one and by the end you will be begging for more! (Click the cover for 5 reasons to pre-order Caraval)

Crooked Kingdom - Leigh Bardugo
Last, but certainly not least, we have the perfection that is Crooked Kingdom. So the books in my top 10 are in no particular order, but Crooked Kingdom is undoubtedly my favourite book of the year! I simply cannot fault this book at all - it was perfect. My heart went through the blender while reading CK, but I wouldn't have had it any other way, because with those moments of sadness, there were moments of victory, which made it all worth it. I will miss my 6 precious sinnamon rolls, but hopefully we'll see them again in the future *fingers crossed* (click the cover to read my review)

So, there we have it, My Top 10 Reads of 2016!
Did you spot any of your favourites? If so, which ones? If not, what were some of your favourites of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment